Candied Pork Belly
- Slice belly into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Lay out slices on sheet pan to allow to even coating of seasoning.
- Apply seasoning liberally on both sides of belly slices.
- Let marinate for 20 minutes.
- 6 pounds pork belly (skin removed and saved for Chicharrónes)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup garlic powder
- 1/2 cup onion powder
- 1/4 cup salt
**IMPORTANT** Grill on a pit that has a lid. Pork belly is high in fat and you need to be able to close lid and smother flare-ups should they occur. If you do get a grease flare-up, simply close the lid until a good deal of white smoke pours out of the pit. This indicates the flare-up is out. No smoke means flames are still going. Be careful when re-opening the lid, as fresh air can allow a re-flash.
- Sprinkle seasoning over belly slices as they cook. (Don’t be shy with the seasoning. The more sugar, the more caramelization occurs. This is the secret to this dish.)
- Flip belly slices and repeat seasoning until fully cooked.
- Remove belly slices to a large bowl and sprinkle with another light coat of seasoning. Toss to coat.
- Cover, and let rest for 10 minutes prior to serving.